Monday, August 10, 2015

What We Learned While Buying an Ikea Sektion Kitchen



Oh Ikea... How is it possible to love you and hate you at the same time? We learned a ton while putting together our Sektion kitchen and I am happy to share the pros and cons of our experience. Let me tell you, when the Ikea delivery of 100+ boxes arrived to our house it was pretty intimidating. I'll try to break it down as well as I can. (Disclosure: The only items in this kitchen from Ikea are the Veddinge cabinets and the Minut pendant light fixture.)

Ordering Your Kitchen
First, Ikea has people who can measure, design and even install your kitchen. They have a 3-D design program online that allows you to plug in your kitchen's measurements and completely design the whole kitchen. I found the software to be glitchy and hard to figure out. However, Ikea really wants you to use this program because once you enter everything correctly it automatically makes the shopping list for you. Then all you have to do is go to the store, they print it out and you pay. We decided that we did not want to pay $199 to have the designer come out and plan the kitchen. Instead, we had our contractor come up with the design. He told us the cabinet sizes we needed to buy and I figured out all the small items like legs, cover panels (cover panels can be also be cut to be made into fillers), toe kicks,  handles, etc. I made an Ikea account online and from there I was able to add items to a saved shopping list for the kitchen. It was all online so I thought Ikea could easily pull it up in their system when I was at the store. When I got there I told the associate that I have my shopping list for the kitchen ready to go and all I need is a computer to sign into my Ikea account to pull up my shopping list. She looked at me like I was a crazy person. The first two kitchen associates told me that they can't get online to look at shopping lists, they can only look at the shopping list if I used their design software. Eventually I asked to speak to a manager and magically he was able to find my online account and easily print my shopping list out. I was given a list of items that were going to be delivered to my house and then he gave me a list of items that were out of stock. What?! Out of Stock? Apparently, everyone and their brother waited to buy their Ikea kitchen until the new line came out, then Ikea had their annual big kitchen sale and guess what? The kitchens sold better than expected leaving homeowners with missing parts. Luckily for us, we were only missing 3 cabinet doors. I can't imagine if you have major pieces missing like a base cabinet or a upper cabinet. Once the order was printed we took it to the register to pay (minus the out of stock items. You will need to come back to the store to buy them once they are in stock or buy online if available). 

Delivery
Everything came right on time. Like I said earlier, we had over 100 boxes delivered. It was overwhelming and I definitely had no clue where to start. There was a moment when I started to mark off our shopping list to make sure everything was delivered, but that proved to be very time consuming, so I basically said screw it and started to build the cabinets. I did organized the delivery, so I had a pile of base cabinets, fronts, hinges, etc. This made things go much faster. In the end, everything we ordered was there and nothing was missing.


Assembling
Once you put one base cabinet or upper cabinet together it is easy as pie. Time consuming, but totally doable for anyone no matter what your skill level is. However, the drawers...Dear Lord, the drawers. Total nightmare. We still have not been able to figure out one base cabinet with 3 drawers. We have spent hours trying different ways to install and nothing seems to work. I have no clue if we got "bad" parts from Ikea or if we are just not installing it correctly. For right now we have decided to walk away from the unevenly spaced drawers and just live with it for now. 

Missing Parts
Oh, the drama! Like I mentioned earlier, we ended up missing 3 cabinet doors that were out of stock. Eventually, our kitchen was completely finished and we were still missing 3 doors. This is one whole month of waiting for the doors to come in and checking Ikea's website like an obsessed fool (you can check your store's stock online). Then one day two of our doors were in stock, but they only had two! I rushed my butt to Ikea before it even opened and stood in line to enter. Once the associate removed the rope I ran through the cashiers and straight to the warehouse stock associate, who was my friend by now, and nabbed myself two cabinet doors. It was the best feeling to have our kitchen 99% finished. But there was still one cabinet door to find. A week goes by....nothing. Another week… still no cabinet door in stock. So frustrating that an Ikea in another state had 92 cabinet doors in the style/size I needed and there was nothing I could do about it because Ikea does not ship items between stores. Ikea's customer service phone number is a complete joke. I called 4 times and spent more than 45+ minutes on hold before I hung up. You are better off finding the direct phone number to your local store. I did a little more digging and found the phone number and kitchen department extension# to the Ikea store in a different state that had my door in stock. I talked to a manager who I begged and pleaded for them to ship me the cabinet door we were missing. He did it and we received it within days. I do not think that kind of thing is typical, but he was amazing and I am grateful because that cabinet door has been out of stock at my local store (and online) for 3 months!

Installation
Although we built the cabinets, we had our contractor install them. How did it go? Well, our contractor said that this was his first and last Ikea install he will be doing. So I am guessing he was not too keen on installing our Ikea kitchen. The Ikea parts were a little flimsy, so our contractor added different screws and parts to make everything more sturdy. 

Final Thoughts
Would we install Ikea cabinets in the future? If you would have asked us that right after the kitchen remodel I would have said no, but since we have had time to relax and enjoy the kitchen...I would absolutely install Ikea cabinets again. The main reason is the price. You can not beat the price! Yes, they are a pain to put together, but if I can save thousands of dollars on cabinets, then I don't care. We had a very strict budget and Ikea was the obvious choice. We also did not get fancy with our kitchen by having under cabinet lighting or any of that. We straight up did a basic kitchen that does not look basic at all. Having an awesome contractor absolutely helps the remodel go by easier. Our contractor totally restored my faith in contractors. Thank God! 


I am lucky to only live about 20 minutes away from Ikea, so this made it very easy to run to Ikea if we needed something that we forgot or return damaged pieces. I couldn't imagine living far away from Ikea. You would have to make sure that you did not forget anything and cross you fingers that your Ikea delivery was not damaged. How stressful! I'm not going to lie, there was one week where I literally went to Ikea everyday to return items, buy our missing cabinet doors, and buy forgotten parts. To say the least, I got hooked on Ikea's frozen yogurt and cinnamon rolls pretty quick. 

Do you have any questions or comments? I'd love to hear from you! 

4 comments:

  1. We have the same kitchen appliance layout and are looking at this cabinet system. Is that a 15" wide cabinet between the stove and fridge? Thanks, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any regrets with the Sektion cabinets now that they've been in for a while? They seem orders of magnitude better than what Home Depot or Lowes has on offer, but contractors keep telling me to avoid Ikea Sektion. How do you feel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! I know you wrote this a long time ago, but I'm still going to reply :) We've had our Ikea kitchen for 2 years now and we still love it! Everything is holding up extremely well. The only thing I did notice was that when we pull our metal baking pans in and out of the cabinet, it was scuffing the inside of the cabinet some. We ended up buying a cheap pan holder from target that eliminated the problem. Overall, we are 100% happy with our Ikea cabinets and have no regrets. It was the most affordable option and it looks great. We also were told by every contractor not to buy Ikea, but you gotta do what feels right for you.

      Delete
  3. I think, that is the best furniture store out there. Check out this website!

    ReplyDelete